Diploma in Commercial Practice (DCP) is one of the non-engineering course in the department of Technical Education, presently this course is running in 18 institutes
The DCP course gives emphasis on the practical aspects of accounting. The course is designed to equip the students to face the challenges of the modern business environment and to make them employable.
Diploma in Commercial Practice is a three-year course that offers knowledge to the students in different areas like stenography, accounting, typewriting, data entry, etc… and this course is being offered only by a few polytechnics in Karnataka.
VINOJ P.R M.Com
Head of the Department
SET Polytechnic, Melkote
For getting into the diploma in Commercial Practice course, candidates must have completed their SSLC/10th examination from a recognized board.
Some of the subjects covered under Diploma in Commercial Practice course are:
Company law & secretarial Practice, Commerce subjects, Business studies, Business management, Business law, Basics of accounting, Auditing & taxation, Accountancy, Shorthand (Kannada & English) Typewriting (Kannada & English), Tally accounting package, Marketing management, Internet etc.
Higher studies after Diploma in Commercial Practice:
Candidates, who have completed their Diploma in Commercial practice, can join directly for 2nd year / 3 semester Bachelor of Commerce, BBM, CA (Foundation), ICWA etc.
They can also take up other courses in the field of commerce pertaining to accountancy, economics, business administration and even computer application.
Diploma in Commercial Practice course can add weight-age to the job opportunities of the candidates since they possess office management skills along with a degree in hand.
The features of the course are as follows:
• The course offers a full understanding of modern office practices
• Basic skills of computing, Shorthand and typing
• Primary knowledge of legal issues governing the management of an office
• Exposure to management information system and accounting practices
• The medium of instructions imparted to students is English
• The quality of teaching is kept reasonably high keeping in view of the ability of the students to face the challenges in the administration as well as in the industrial field.
• The student who completes this course are having bright future in their academic career.
• By offering knowledge to the students in these areas, the course prepares the students for basic office duties.
The students who have completed this course may apply for the posts of Stenographer in the various departments of State Government and Central Government and will be readily recruited in different organizations as Stenographers, Typists, Executive Assistants, Secretaries and Assistant Administrative Managers since they possess a wide office management knowledge. They can enter the booming industry since they are equipped with written and oral communication skills. This course is highly suitable for the students from poor background and those who wish to earn at a very young age
|Typing lab||Accountancy and Commerce lab|